Quest 2 Link Best Settings (Finally Better Than Rift S) by Tbone
[November 27, 2023, 04:57:46 pm]

randomness by Jeyk
[November 27, 2023, 09:42:30 am]

New PC for Oculus Rift (Purchased!) by Tbone
[December 01, 2022, 12:02:55 pm]

Stability Issues with CPU/RAM/Mobo by Tbone
[November 30, 2022, 12:34:56 pm]

Author Topic: Server Type Chosen!  (Read 4188 times)

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thefuriousangels.com
Server Type Chosen!
« on: November 08, 2011, 01:53:26 am »
In the meeting last night, we had a discussion as to whether to go to a PvP server or an RP-PvP server. I thought this was something we may have to take a poll on, but everyone at the meeting came to a pretty quick consensus that an RP-PvP server would better suit us.

The main driving factor is that we believe an RP-PvP community is going to have higher standards than a normal PvP server. We want a community that will cater to all of our members' needs, and that includes both our PvPers and RPers. We already have a few guilds that have also confirmed RP-PvP, and I'll be starting a campaign to get a few more on board.

After that we'll be figuring out a way to organize it so that all of us end up on the same server. If you have any questions or concerns or arguments to make, feel free to post it below or PM me privately. Just know that careful consideration was given to this decision.

Offline Lucky

• Meat Shield
    • View Profile
Re: Server Type Chosen!
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 10:01:46 am »
Excellent! I was hoping that would be the route we took!! My meager voice approves!!

Offline NoCry

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 11:45:35 am »
Nice one.

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 12:42:30 am »
I've PMed and emailed a good number of guilds to see if they will be joining on the RP-PvP server. It looks like a majority of MxO guilds are sticking with PvP. Most of their members don't RP and they claim the quality of the community won't be much better due to the number of trolls.

I'm still waiting to hear back from Champions of the Force and MERC. Jen'Jidai and The Guardians are with us, and a few RP-PvP guilds have already reached out to us.

Offline Keeloth

• Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 11:15:08 am »
Quote from: "Tbone"
they claim the quality of the community won't be much better due to the number of trolls.

That hasn't been my experience.  Sure, you run into those types on occasion, but for the most part they like to stick to harassing the PvE RP servers, where they are much less vulnerable to being ganked at any time.  The worst I'd expect would be a guild founded that is deliberately hostile to RP and rolled on an RP-PvP server to "pwn some RP f4gz."  In my experience, these guilds usually leave after getting their asses handed to them multiple times.

Offline JazzyC

• Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 10:56:18 am »
Given the post made by Champions of the Force on this site, can I assume they won't be joining us on an RP-PVP server?

Offline Fuse

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lostlocalhost.com
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 11:57:49 am »
I'm kind of bummed we won't be with the other mxo folks... I would have leaned more toward the pvp serv personally, but FA belongs in the rppvp

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 12:16:20 pm »
Yeah, Champions and MERC are sticking with PvP. We're not converting many over, but we're also getting attention from some of the other RP-PvP guilds, so hopefully it'll be a good trade off.

Offline Broin

• Second-in-Command
  • VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
Server Type Chosen!
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 12:48:40 pm »
Do we need to re-address the issue?

Go ahead, make my day.

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
Server Type Chosen!
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 01:05:50 pm »
We can take the opportunity to go over the specifics at the meeting on Monday and figure out any concerns.

Offline Jesseria

• Meat Shield
    • View Profile
Server Type Chosen!
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 08:38:45 pm »
Quote from: "Broin"
Do we need to re-address the issue?

I know how important it is to play with friends, and keeping alive old ties. However, from the perspective of one of the many guild members who was not part of the MxO guild, I do not think it would be wise to re-consider our server type decision. Here is how I reached this conclusion.

Though these other MxO guilds are friends, it does not seem that they share similar interests. PvP is an important part of this guild, however PvP isn't a core reason as to why this guild exists. My understanding is that this guild exists for its members to have fun together. The second reason why this guild exists is to make a profound impact in its community.

RP-PvP is a server choice that will appeal to those who enjoy competition, and storytelling. Role Players do add a significant level of maturity to a server community. There will be trolls, but there will also be those who join purely because they expect a more mature community. Trolls do not make it far, as those who play a game purely to grief others will eventually lose interest.

Because of the mature nature of RP servers; particularly RP-PvP servers, we will find like-minded players who share our interests. These individuals are seeking PvP competition, as well as a community that is mature, helpful, and desires to explore the Star Wars universe through a different lens. This appeals to the reason why this guild exists.

Finally, I think the members of the guild were very clear about their decision of server type. There wasn't a single voice in favor of a PvP only server type; and that is with good reason. We have little to lose with the RP-PvP server type, and significant opportunities to gain.

Choosing a server type for any pre-release guild in SW:TOR is fairly difficult; however for the Furious Angels, it seems we have found a proper home fairly easily. RP-PvP appeals to everyone's desire. We will compete in PvP. Role Players will find opportunities to experience TOR the way they want to. Those seeking a more mature community will be more likely to find it on an RP-PvP server, than a normal PvP server.

Though we will be parting ways with old friends, we will make way for new friends. There will be a new community to influence, and a new community for which we may have a significant positivie impact upon.

This is my two cents, in the hopes that we do not discuss switching server types. I believe that the Furious Angels will find a proper home on an RP-PvP server.

Offline Fuse

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lostlocalhost.com
Server Type Chosen!
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2011, 09:46:06 pm »
To me it's not just about not playing with old friends, but I think we would have an easier time making an impact on our server if most of the server already knew us and our reputation. I feel like we had a head start on the pvp server because of those friends.

With that said, rp is still who we are as a group, and rppvp still fits.

Offline Saint

• Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wix.com/saintxxx/Jedi-Archives
Server Type Chosen!
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2011, 10:27:08 pm »
Rp/pvp is still my vote, friends are nice but this isnt mxo, its a new start.

Offline Baobinga

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.soundcloud.com/djz
Server Type Chosen!
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2011, 11:59:40 pm »
I don't mind either way. Do what you guys feel is best for the guild as a whole.

Offline Twoturn

• Meat Shield
    • View Profile
Server Type Chosen!
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2011, 08:09:14 am »
I come from straight PvP servers in all other games I've played, so I have no history with RP.  The only thing I will miss is killing and camping griefers.  Heck, my guild name was PKK (Player Killer Killers for you newer-schoolers) and one of my arena teams was called Tarren Mill PD.  We had hours of fun picnicing over griefer corpses.

That being said, I am looking forward to a more mature community.  The overall quality of gameplay will more than make up for the loss of a single activity.

* Discord

Calendar

May 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 [18]
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 17