Quest 2 Link Best Settings (Finally Better Than Rift S) by Tbone
[November 27, 2023, 04:57:46 pm]

randomness by Jeyk
[November 27, 2023, 09:42:30 am]

New PC for Oculus Rift (Purchased!) by Tbone
[December 01, 2022, 12:02:55 pm]

Stability Issues with CPU/RAM/Mobo by Tbone
[November 30, 2022, 12:34:56 pm]

Author Topic: Boy did I get excited!  (Read 3677 times)

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thefuriousangels.com
Re: Boy did I get excited!
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2011, 01:57:37 pm »
I think it's a little naive to think that 1. Boss fights can't enhance gameplay and 2. That bosses started with WoW.

I don't know why WoW is credited with everything these days. I remember boss fights in Mario Bros and they were epic. Battlefield when the uber tank or helicopter shows up. Half Life, MxO, Mega Man, Link... Really, bossed are a WoW thing??

Personally, I would be disappointed if I did a a raid or flashpoint and it didn't build to some kind of climactic fight and instead just kinda ended or had some weird epilogue dialogue with no fight, and I'm not even a "raider". I can't even imagine the riots from hardcore raiders if epic boss fights weren't there.

I haven't played an Operation, but I can say that Flashpoints don't sacrifice story interactions or unique gameplay options, but still also contain mini-bosses and bosses.

In the end I think those looking to find disappointment will find it regardless, especially the ones using WoW, and those looking for a great game will find that too.

Offline Ragnarok

• Angelic Wrath
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2011, 02:48:12 pm »
Well BioWare has redeemed themselves in my eyes at least. I just opened my inbox and my alt account got an invite to beta!!!

So long as I breathe, I live. So long as I live, I fight. So long as I fight, I triumph!

Offline Saint

• Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wix.com/saintxxx/Jedi-Archives
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2011, 02:57:40 pm »
Quote from: "Tbone"
I think it's a little naive to think that 1. Boss fights can't enhance gameplay and 2. That bosses started with WoW.

I don't know why WoW is credited with everything these days. I remember boss fights in Mario Bros and they were epic. Battlefield when the uber tank or helicopter shows up. Half Life, MxO, Mega Man, Link... Really, bossed are a WoW thing??

Personally, I would be disappointed if I did a a raid or flashpoint and it didn't build to some kind of climactic fight and instead just kinda ended or had some weird epilogue dialogue with no fight, and I'm not even a "raider". I can't even imagine the riots from hardcore raiders if epic boss fights weren't there.

I haven't played an Operation, but I can say that Flashpoints don't sacrifice story interactions or unique gameplay options, but still also contain mini-bosses and bosses.

In the end I think those looking to find disappointment will find it regardless, especially the ones using WoW, and those looking for a great game will find that too.

I think you misunderstood my point. I never said wow started boss fights or anything for that matter, it just ripped off other games imo.  I never even liked wow, but what I was saying was that wow has made everyone (and I say everyone because wow was or is the most popular mmo to date ) refer to the gaming experience by such things as lets go on a raid to kill a boss, or get loot or specifically amarantus's coment about oh that was just "trash" mobs. This type of thinking has removed the story apsect of the mmorpg so instead of saying lets go check out the those lost tombs and make sure the sith artifacts dont fall into the wrong hands, people say lets go clear out the trash and camp the boss for loot etc etc.. Im not saying we shouldnt have climax battles or bosses its just that the raw terminology and lack of any roleplay with people gets old to me in games. Bioware on the other hand has put that story back into the mmo, and so what if you have a single "boss" that you have to take out, at least you have the story to back up why you are doing it and care about that story for the first time in well.. EVAR!!!

That was my point.

Offline Amarantus

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2011, 03:08:15 pm »
I am not looking to find disappointment. I am very likely going to enjoy the hell out of the raids no matter and even if I didn't I have seen all of the pvp stuff and I know I am going to enjoy that to no end. Hopefully the world pvp will be amazing as well.

And you are right. There are some boss fights that are amazingly fun. I was just pointing out that the developers have said multiple times that they don't want 15 guys standing around whacking one mob. That they wanted fights to be epic and I was disappointed that it seems they have not done that.

Again I have not seen all of the fights nor have I seen all of the operations. They may have fulfilled what they wanted to do with epic fights, but they haven't shown that yet either.

BTW @ 9:38 in the Eternity Vault movie is that a Varterral?

Edit:
@Silver

I used the terminology for ease of communication. I doubt any of us here are going to be using such terms in game unless it is for ease of communication.
I used to think I was perfect. However, thinking ones self perfect is conceit and conceit is a character flaw... I have no character flaws.

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thefuriousangels.com
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2011, 03:26:29 pm »
Quote from: "Amarantus"

And you are right. There are some boss fights that are amazingly fun. I was just pointing out that the developers have said multiple times that they don't want 15 guys standing around whacking one mob. That they wanted fights to be epic and I was disappointed that it seems they have not done that.

There was a discussion about this on the TOR forums and I said the same thing there that I'll say here. I think you misunderstood the context when they mentioned the "heroic" concept of fighting multiple enemies.

In the context of that explanation, they said that, instead of most MMOs where you fight mobs one at a time, in SWTOR mobs are grouped into three or four mobs at once, so that instead of fighting one normal mob, you fight three or four weak ones that essentially equate to fighting one normal mob in any other MMO. They said they did this because they felt it was more "heroic" combat to be fighting multiple enemies instead of always going 1v1.

Never did they say that they weren't going to have epic, heroic 1v1 fights, bosses, raids, etc. They were referring to your basic "trash" mobs and why they decided to group them up that way. Even many of the "bosses in your world and story quests are grouped up with other guys when you fight them, so that stays pretty consistent. But I don't believe they were ever implying that they would not having epic world bosses/raid bosses/instance bosses who are badass enough to warrant you and a couple of friends grouping up to take him down. They were just explaining a general combat concept used for mob populating.

Back on topic, I must destroy Ragnarok now...!

Offline Mharz

• Angelic Wrath
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2011, 11:15:39 pm »
Quote from: "Ragnarok"
Well BioWare has redeemed themselves in my eyes at least. I just opened my inbox and my alt account got an invite to beta!!!

So unfair.. so very.. unfair.

Hook a faction mate up?

Offline Ragnarok

• Angelic Wrath
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2011, 02:05:05 am »
Quote from: "Mharz"
Quote from: "Ragnarok"

So unfair.. so very.. unfair.

Hook a faction mate up?

Would if my main account  had gotten an invite also. If it does I will be sure to give the invite to someone in our faction, I would have to guess boss man has first dibs though.

So long as I breathe, I live. So long as I live, I fight. So long as I fight, I triumph!

* Discord

Calendar

May 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 271