Quest 2 Link Best Settings (Finally Better Than Rift S) by Tbone
[November 27, 2023, 04:57:46 pm]

randomness by Jeyk
[November 27, 2023, 09:42:30 am]

New PC for Oculus Rift (Purchased!) by Tbone
[December 01, 2022, 12:02:55 pm]

Stability Issues with CPU/RAM/Mobo by Tbone
[November 30, 2022, 12:34:56 pm]

Author Topic: DC Universe Online  (Read 5193 times)

Offline Subb

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
DC Universe Online
« on: August 01, 2008, 12:20:01 pm »
I don't know about you lot, but I am very excited about this game. I 'spose there is a superhero game already (City of Heroes/Villains) but this game is DC Comics :D :D :D :D The Joker anyone? Nightwing, The Batman, Robin (Tim Drake era), Superman, The Green Lantern (both versions I think are included) etc. etc. are there and so are most of the villains.

The environment is highly interactive - you can throw buses at the enemy if you wish.

I want this game. and I want it like a child at christmas. I know I'll also be creating a character with no powers (like batman) - I wonder if we can have batmobile esque vehicles, since you can fly and run up the side of skyscrapers if you have superpowers.

You also have to conceal your identity. Yes, you have to walk around as your alter ego e.g. Bruce Wayne and Dick Grayson etc. Needless to say - this sounds like a fun game!

Anyone interested in this new MMO?

Dear Santa, please let this game be a non-subscription MMO :D

Offline Heironymus

• Angelic Fury
    • View Profile
    • http://www.xanga.com/Inner_Fatman
Re: DC Universe Online
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 01:36:23 pm »
Quote from: "Subb"

you know it will be if you want DC character interaction and good updates... Hopefully this will blow CoH/CoV out of the water.. who knows.. any idea for a projected release date?

Offline Subb

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 03:58:42 pm »
Quote from: "Heironymus"
Quote from: "Subb"

you know it will be if you want DC character interaction and good updates... Hopefully this will blow CoH/CoV out of the water.. who knows.. any idea for a projected release date?

They havent confirmed if it's a pay-as-you-play subscription or not. They could make the money by making expansion packs (as planned thus far) or by charging alot for the actual game. I bought MxO on the release day for £15/$30. They're charging people £35 for this game for the PC and £45 for PS3 so they'll make enough money to staff the game for a while!

28/11/2008 is the projected release date on play.com

Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 05:13:15 pm »
Anyone seen the preview for the new MK vs DC? Looks so bitchin!

Offline Pirus

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 09:58:59 pm »
Looks cool yet funny also... lol like anyone would take superman in hand to hand combat from the MK universe ya right lol the flash too for that matter.  Makes sense with batman being in there though.

Offline Manic Velocity

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • Pod Goo & Tonic
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 05:36:25 pm »
Quote from: "Pirus"
Looks cool yet funny also... lol like anyone would take superman in hand to hand combat from the MK universe ya right lol the flash too for that matter.  Makes sense with batman being in there though.

Superman is vulnerable to magic.  Many characters in the MK universe are either dead or undead, and have been brought to life through some form of sorcery.  For that matter, many of the MK characters are mythical/mystical creatures that use magic or something akin to it in their combat styles.  I'd say the humans and the cyborgs are the only characters Superman stands a chance against.  ;)

As for DCUO, I'm extremely skeptical.  I completely forgot that SOE took the title from WB in agreement that MxO was part of the package.  Which makes me feel even more depressed about MxO and its future.  SOE didn't even want MxO.  They only took it to get the license for DCUO.

We've seen first hand how SOE treats their MMO's.  Especially ones that aren't even their IP.  (Does SOE even have an official intellectual property?)  SOE is aiming to be a catch-all in the MMO market.  Their goal is obviously not to make one solid MMO that most people can get attached to.  They'd rather break even by having a hand in each genre, so they can pull a little bit of money from the niche crowd in each.  

I like the DC universe, but I'm not at all convinced that SOE will treat it with the respect it deserves.  My two cents.  :\

Offline Pirus

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 09:21:39 pm »
sure some of the magical blasts might do something but when it comes to a hit from supes it shouldn't be matched by anything MK can offer one hit should kill one of those guys instantly no questions asked.  Not to mention were assuming they can actually get past his light speed to hit him with something.

Offline Subb

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 03:51:26 am »
It depends if there's a sun that can fuel his powers :P I haven't payed much attention to MK, but isn't it in an alternate realm? There for it could have a different kind of sun so Supey can't get his powers (Like when he found that Kryptonian realm - he didnt have any superpowers - so he because Nightwing for a short period of time. I dont know if that was before Dick became NW though.

I dunno - Jim Lee's thoroughly involved with this game so I think it'll be a success. It wouldn't suprise me if DC is a bigger franchise than Lucasarts - therefore they should treat it with respect.

Offline Phienyx

• Angelic Fury
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 07:57:39 am »
I'll have to wait and see on that one.  I have not have much faith in ANY MMO since Star Wars Galaxies.  I have never had as much fun/satisfaction in an MMO since the first few months of SWG.  That as until SOE fucked that all to hell and back by turning it into merely a dumbed down shadow of its former self.  If I was Lucas Arts, i'd sue the bejezzuz out of them for putting such a large black mark on the Star Wars name.

Eve Online is about the only MMO that fits the bill for me right now and has continued to do so for the past few years.

I don't really have alot of faith that any company can put out a decent MMO this isn't more of the same shit with different visuals.

We'll see.  Keep us updated.

We're Angels, not saints.

Offline Heironymus

• Angelic Fury
    • View Profile
    • http://www.xanga.com/Inner_Fatman
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 09:02:38 am »
Quote from: "Phienyx"
them for putting such a large black mark on the Star Wars name.

your kidding right? have you seen the games that are normally released with the star wars name on it?

Offline Subb

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 12:19:15 pm »
Hahaahaahaha, yeah, star wars games are either really shit (like, yoda stories etc.) or are freakin' awesome (KOTOR 1 + 2, Jedi Knight series etc.).

I want this game now :(

Offline Tecknik

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 01:56:31 pm »
Hey now...  Yoda Stories was a badass game.  I used to play that every chance I got at the computer lab in elementary school.

In fact, I may have to find a copy of that game now.

The Dark Forces/Jedi Knight Series is quite honestly one of the best.  I still play JKII and JKA from time to time.

Offline Phienyx

• Angelic Fury
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2008, 05:03:26 pm »
Well, you kinda missed the important part of my statement.

We're Angels, not saints.

Offline Tecknik

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2008, 07:48:20 pm »
I didn't.

SOE fucks shit up.

Offline Subb

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 04:36:11 am »
I think if SOE didnt change the combat systems or try to re-vamp MMO's then they wouldn't have the reputation of fucking gamers in the ass.

* Discord

Calendar

April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
[28] 29 30

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 91
  • Dot Hidden: 0