Quest 2 Link Best Settings (Finally Better Than Rift S) by Tbone
[November 27, 2023, 04:57:46 pm]

randomness by Jeyk
[November 27, 2023, 09:42:30 am]

New PC for Oculus Rift (Purchased!) by Tbone
[December 01, 2022, 12:02:55 pm]

Stability Issues with CPU/RAM/Mobo by Tbone
[November 30, 2022, 12:34:56 pm]

Author Topic: Building an HTPC  (Read 1122 times)

Offline likwidtek

• RIFTER
  • VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • http://omeganerd.com
Building an HTPC
« on: September 08, 2010, 07:14:35 pm »
Anyone have one set up yet?.. some advice?

I've been thinking about doing this for a while for downloaded movies and shows.  Honestly, ever since netflix instantwatch came to Xbox, I've canceled my cable and haven't really looked back.  The downfall of netflix on the Xbox is that the hardware is loud!  Also they STILL don't have search built into the interface.  Not to mention, $50/year in xbox live.  The great thing about it though, is it powers on super fast and the interface is very nice.

That in mind, whatever I choose needs to at least do as well as the Xbox in regards to netflix.  I really like the recommended titles broken out by categories and based on your current watching habits.  Would really like to search for titles too. Aside from that, I also want the HTPC to be QUIET.  If it's louder than my Xbox, ugh, screw it.  It must work all of the time (excluding setup) without a mouse and keyboard.  100% remote functionality is important for me.  I really don't want it to feel like a PC at all.  That said I have the Logitech Harmony 880 remote.  So those are the big things.  In addition to those, I don't care to have it record or capture TV.  I do want it set up to auto download, unrar, and categorize Jess's favorite shows via newsgroups.   As far as I know the best way to do that is Sickbeard + XBMC?  What do you guys think?  I don't have a preference of windows or linux however I'd like to make sure that all sorts of goodies work with it.  As far the main software package goes.. I really like how Boxee has all of the streaming channels.  As far as I've read it also supports Hulu and Youtube which is neat.  Not sure if it's supported in Linux though..  I do like the social aspect and the fact it has an iPhone remote would be pretty cool too.  I don't really know anything about XBMC other than Boxee is a fork of it and XBMC takes a little more config and tweaking but you can customize and skin the poo out of it.  Any thoughts on that?  Other features that would be nice would be being able to list TV shows and Movies that are stored locally or on the network in different views.  For example, by genre, date or alphabetically.  Anything other than just a flat list.  I'll be storing lots of 1080p stuff in 5.1 so the hardware would need to support this as well.  (I still need to reconfigure my Audio receiver...  Not sure I have an extra digital audio IN left.)  Anyway.. I'll have to see.  So with that in mind, what video card / CPU combo will do this best also keeping in mind which card is best in regards to overscan.

So to sum up my MUST HAVE's:

* Must be at least as good streaming netflix as the xbox.  Search is a plus.
* Quieter than the Xbox
* Must work with my Harmony remote
* Sickbeard automation or better for TV shows
* Must play 1080p with 5.1 audio with ease.

The "would be really nice if"s:

* Supports Hulu, YouTube, Ted Talks and Pandora
* Different ways of browsing your downloaded shows and movies.  (e.g. by genre, date or alphabetically)

What hardware / software do you think would match most of this?  I have $300 set aside from selling the PS3 and would like to stay in that area. :D

Here's something I spec'd out just randomly but wondering if anyone has some feedback that's traveled down this road recently. :)

"To the darkened skies once more and ever onward."

Offline Subb

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
Re: Building an HTPC
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 03:16:53 am »
Have you got the new model Xbox that came out late Julyish? It's quieter than my m11x...

Offline likwidtek

• RIFTER
  • VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • http://omeganerd.com
Re: Building an HTPC
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 02:08:00 pm »
no.  Mine was made in 2007.  Which... (speaking of) I think it was getting jealous of me building an HTPC because now it's red ringing.  :(
"To the darkened skies once more and ever onward."

* Discord

Calendar

May 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

* Who's Online