Quest 2 Link Best Settings (Finally Better Than Rift S) by Tbone
[November 27, 2023, 04:57:46 pm]

randomness by Jeyk
[November 27, 2023, 09:42:30 am]

New PC for Oculus Rift (Purchased!) by Tbone
[December 01, 2022, 12:02:55 pm]

Stability Issues with CPU/RAM/Mobo by Tbone
[November 30, 2022, 12:34:56 pm]

Author Topic: Nominations for Our Replacement Game!  (Read 10036 times)

Offline Guac

• Meat Shield
    • View Profile
Nominations for Our Replacement Game!
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2009, 11:08:30 pm »
Personally 2142 is a lot less realistic but its not terrible...

Offline ArchNemesis

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2009, 11:51:33 pm »
Don't think it was supposed to be realistic, but futuristic ^_^

Either way, it requires a good amount of Comms to get things done and that's what i'm looking for when gaming with us all ;)

Offline Erathaol

• Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2009, 12:13:42 am »
Hmm, current MMOs...  one possibility that nobody has mentioned so far is UO on one of those free shards that replicate the game when it was actually good.  One in particular, UO Second Age averages around 500 people each day and 600-700 on weekends.  While that's very little compared to most games, that's a very good number for a free player-run shard.

DDO is soon becoming free to play with a micro-transaction system where you pay for each Module.  It has basically zero PvP though, and that's what made me grow bored of it a while back.

I really can't think of any others that I would like to play, which is kinda a bummer.  A whole year (at least) of no MMO does not make me happy; I hope we settle on something to tide us over...

As for other genres of games, I'm definitely a realistic FPS fan (meaning I hate all those sci-fi games where you can take multiple rockets to the chest and keep on truckin').  The one I think we'd have the most fun in is BF2 or America's Army (though I've never actually played AA).  Essentially, anything that rewards careful planning and close teamwork seems to be right up our alley.

Offline Da6onet

• VETERAN ANGEL
  • I shall either find a way or make one.
    • View Profile
    • JPL
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2009, 12:57:24 am »
Non-MMO Suggestion: Team Fortress 2/Counter-Strike: Source

Pros: Instant-on action, boom headshot
Cons: Not very in depth (point and shoot)-repetitive.

MMO Suggestion: EVE Online

Pros: Very in depth game, you can level while logged out, 14 and 21 day free trials
Cons: So much customization is a bit overwhelming for first couple weeks.

One last note about EVE, because it's skill grind is based on progressive timers, you could play TF2 for hours, even days without having to log back into EVE to update your training queue.
If all the world's problems were solved today, what would you have left to do tomorrow?

NEED NEW SIGNATURE, CAN PAY IN THE FORM OF BEER!!!

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thefuriousangels.com
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2009, 01:15:28 am »
FPS - Those games we can always play at random times. It's not really the type of "everyone let's log in to accomplish a big task" sort of thing that I'm looking for, though. We'll only see you guys when you feel like blowing shit up. I'd like to get into something at least a little more in depth than that.

EVE Online - Aren't we trying to get away from a hard grind? And what's the point of playing a game that rewards you for not playing the game?? That makes no sense to me at all. Sounds like it's just found a way to be even more lazy than the afk macros.

UO - Isn't that an old old game?

I played SWG a bit tonight. Graphics are definitely dated (circa 2004 I believe), but so far I've been having fun. I've already run into some group missions. Not to mention it's free until August for MxOers. Why are there no solid MMOs out there??

Offline Erathaol

• Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2009, 01:46:06 am »
Yeah, UO is super old (released in 97).  As long as you don't care about graphics, I find it quite nice.  It may be nostalgia talking, but I think it is the greatest MMO ever made.  Why do you think so many PvP-niche games are always trying to base their major features off those in UO?
Of course, I wouldn't suggest it as a permanent move; more as a diversion until 2010 when the next wave of MMOs release.

I actually wouldn't be too opposed to EVE Online, though I'd want to try it out first (obviously).  I hate grinding, but for me customization can erase nearly all other mistakes.  As long as I have the ability to customize to my heart's content and PvP (and loot, of course), I'm a happy camper.

It seems to me like we'll just have to settle with something we can all at least tolerate for a while.  I know that uncharacteristically pessimistic of me, but I can't for the life of me find a current MMO that would truly be solid and enjoyable for all of us to play.  But what do I know?  Maybe one of you will suggest something, we'll try it, and all fall in love with it.  Stranger things have happened!

Offline Demiabeille

• Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2009, 01:46:50 am »
EVE Online is not about skillgrind. They put the skills offline so you can concentrate on tactics, fun, clan warfare, exploration and actually playing a game. Might be worth trying it as you can get a month free trial, then see what you think.

I played a bit of Runes of Magic this week, but it turned out to be a free WoW clone. Cute and fun, but not worth bothering with.

Jumpgate Evolution is looking cool, not sure when it's out.

I hear they are adding clans into Free Realms now. I will find out more, but if you want to try something different, hey, it's free.

I will be playing Mortal Online at the end of this month, but the launch of that is a long way off.

I plyed LOTRO for a while and that was a very fun game to play, though I never got to the clan stage. I would resub if people wanted to play that. It's a WoW clone, though.

The gaming world is slightly dire at the moment. Seriously though, if you want to play a solid game that isn't a beta test so doesn't involve risk of wasted time, EVE Online will be that for you.

Offline Fuse

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lostlocalhost.com
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2009, 02:40:59 am »
I liked EVE and would have LOVED EVE if I had a faction behind me.
Problem is we would always be a no-name faction because we're too late into the world.

Offline Subb

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2009, 02:48:33 am »
Quote from: "Tbone"

I played SWG a bit tonight. Graphics are definitely dated (circa 2004 I believe), but so far I've been having fun. I've already run into some group missions. Not to mention it's free until August for MxOers. Why are there no solid MMOs out there??

What server you on? If I remember correctly I have a level 30 to 40 Jedi or Bounty Hunter... can't remember :p

EDIT: I dont have a free SWG sub :(

Offline ZephixLeer (Zephic)

• Angelic Wrath
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2009, 04:05:36 am »
I've made my vote known in the thread that Bellthazor made note of earlier. I also saw Tbone's thoughts.

I won't say MO will be different than darkfall in the grind as honestly I can't say for sure until I play. I do believe that the mechanics in place will likely prevent griefing to a large point though. Stat debuff for murderers along with a harsh flagging system should help. (20 hours of being red should a player be flagged murderer.) The ability to creat multiple characters per server/account probably wont increase PKs much either, really. The fact is, even if people play PKs, once they've died, they can either resurrect and take a 10% stat debuff, or hope a red friend resurrects them. Either way, it spells WEAK reds to slaughter. I think they're actually making being a griefer playing "hardmode" rather than the other way around like darkfall.

Anyway, I just hope it is given the look that it deserves. Dig into the "answered questions" threads under their forums for some detailed information. The developers are also EXTREMELY talkative and up-front about features that are uncertain. The community even seems way more accepting and friendly thus far. I am sure that will change to some point as it grows near released, but I'm extremely impressed with it at this time.

I'll be playing at the end of this month with Demi to see what we can make of it. If nothing else, we'll let you guys know how it goes and maybe make a name for ourselves during beta. :)

Offline Kazian

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2009, 04:09:35 am »
Hello again guys!
Im very new to the guild so allow me to make some 2 or 3 suggestions:)
Im a fantasy fan so here it goes:

-Vanguard - the game is a lot bettr now (believe me). the pop is growing and has a huge massive world, castles, lore ,great crafting and graphics, the most sandbox pve game at the moment and you can go to high level easily in a month or two. It has a ffa pvp server wich was fun in the beginning but almost dead now. (has a trial now)

-LoTr online - great produced game with the best lore in MMOs and has some kind of pvp too

-SWG, never tried it, but heard it is very nice (best before CU), if you guys go there ,count me in

-EQ - if you on old school, a new server is openig this week or the next . Could be fun everyone the same level playing this classic massive game

Offline Tecknik

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2009, 07:44:58 am »

If you're not on the Shadowfire server, you should be. :D

Offline Da6onet

• VETERAN ANGEL
  • I shall either find a way or make one.
    • View Profile
    • JPL
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2009, 07:52:58 am »
EVE Online - Aren't we trying to get away from a hard grind?

Actually EVE is the polar opposite of a hard grind because you don't have to sit there 24-7 killing things to level up. Instead you can sit there 24-7 doing whatever you're interested in, of which there are thousands of things to do.

Fuse brings up the only real negative in that we would always be playing catch up, as well it is a very harsh game for solo players.
If all the world's problems were solved today, what would you have left to do tomorrow?

NEED NEW SIGNATURE, CAN PAY IN THE FORM OF BEER!!!

Offline Fuse

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lostlocalhost.com
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2009, 07:54:55 am »
Quote from: "Kazian"

-EQ - if you on old school, a new server is openig this week or the next . Could be fun everyone the same level playing this classic massive game

I had a primary raid warrior "back in the day" on this, but think I only got up to Planes of Power. Considering the updates I'd probably be better off with cardboard armor and a stick now.

Offline Larnor

• Meat Shield
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2009, 08:13:54 am »
EVE Online: It's unique. What can I say more? :)
Though it has some disadvantages: to become good you need time, as in-game skills will progress only with time. I've seen message about of near half year of training to get all basic skills (that is helpful for flying all ships) and small ships of chosen type for PvP engagements. Can't say anything about trading or production, as I know this only from words of other players, haven't tried it professionally by myself. Boring territory wars: usual things is when 100+ people were waiting for a fight for 4-5+ hours without success.

UO: Good ol' days!
I'd prefer to play not on OSI or OSI style shards. My choice is one of Zuluhotel shards, if they are still exist (need to check it). I still remember playing on one of these: very different from other shards: well-made and interesting.

Mortal Online:
Looks good, as all MMORPGs that is not finished yet :) I'll try to get in beta to check its potential.

Personally I'll try Darkfall more, I have 40+ days of subscription left (was not wise to buy such big period of game time :)). Let's look, maybe Aventurine will made some VERY good changes to it.
And I haven't left EVE :)

* Discord

Calendar

May 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 [18]
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

* Who's Online