Quest 2 Link Best Settings (Finally Better Than Rift S) by Tbone
[November 27, 2023, 04:57:46 pm]

randomness by Jeyk
[November 27, 2023, 09:42:30 am]

New PC for Oculus Rift (Purchased!) by Tbone
[December 01, 2022, 12:02:55 pm]

Stability Issues with CPU/RAM/Mobo by Tbone
[November 30, 2022, 12:34:56 pm]

Author Topic: Commando PVP? How are others doing?  (Read 1753 times)

Offline ZephixLeer (Zephic)

• Angelic Wrath
    • View Profile
Commando PVP? How are others doing?
« on: February 04, 2012, 12:24:27 am »
I was curious how other commandos are handling PVP?

I watched a video today of a Vanguard in PVP doing pretty well. I'm starting to regret rolling a Commando and trying to PVP with him. I've finally reached about 7% expertise but still seem to have problems even 1v1 against just about any class.

I've been told that inquisitors are supposed to be the rock to my paper, but I've really had issues with those guys. They just bubble and heal up. Though I've started trying to save cryo to interrupt heals, it doesnt seem to give me enough time to burn them down with the nearly 2 second cast time of grav round. If they're low, I'll use a grenade round or even hammer shot/maybe full auto them down, but that bubble absorbs so much damage, it's usually just a waste of ammo. Generally by this time I'm low too. Probably just my tactics. :P

I suck pretty horrible so far in PVP, and I am sure further experience will help me out, as well as gearing up more. However, I'm curious how others are doing with their commandos in PVP?

What classes do you get excited to see approaching on the battlefield, feeling confident you'll come out with a win? Who do you hate seeing approach?

Are there any tricks you guys have learned that help come out on top against others?

So far I've tried several talent specs as well, and I haven't set on one specific skill setup yet. I tend to bounce between almost pure gunnery and a hybrid spec between that and assault, which seems more mobile, though only slightly.

Anyway, I will keep working at it, and this isn't so much a "how do i get better" thread as a general curiousity about how others are doing. If it's possible to be top damage/healing as a commando in PVP, I'd love to know it, so that I have something to work towards. So far, I've seen very view commandos perform well in WZs that I've been in. :/

Offline JP

• Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Commando PVP? How are others doing?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 05:06:53 am »
Based on running with Eeth as my primary healer, i can say the Combat medic tree is beastly in pvp.  He is a healing tank, with way more survivablity than the rest of the healing classes.  His output of pure healing is however lower than the sage. I believe again survivibilty, possible dmg output with solid AOE, ranged stuns and depending on spec and multiple knockbacks make up for the lower heal output.

In terms of 1v1 situations with dps commandos I can speak only in terms if fighting against your counterpart. They seem to all die horribly mostly due to the terrible strat of attempting to fire the casted backpack rocket at me while im in their face which instantly gets interrupted. So basically am saying I have yet to fight a merc dps who has a clue of how to play this game.

In group play however the DPS commando shines.  They act as damage assist as combination of high powered single target dps (if left alone), ranged stuns and incredible AOE dmg.
The artist formerly known as Tr4ce...

Offline Venlar

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 07:40:16 pm »
I tend to stay away from 1v1 fights with my DPS commando in PvP. Instead I focus more has kind of a support role. I tend to hang back a lot and use harassing tactics laying down a lot of my AoE attacks and picking off characters low on health in group battles. So far I've been the highest dmg and/or highest kills for the majority of the matches I've played. Granted I didn't do nearly as well before they seperated level 50's from the rest of us lowbies. However I think my strategies will carry over to lvl 50 pvp when I hit it. You have to think less about hitting one person with everything you've got and more about hitting everyone, causing chaos and picking off the weakest links.

Offline likwidtek

• RIFTER
  • VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • http://omeganerd.com
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 11:39:22 pm »
Combat medic is really fun in PvP.  If you're looking to come out top damage every WZ you won't find that with this spec however I come out as Top or Second healer nearly every match with a healthy amount of damage and some nice utility and CC.  You can easily rock out top medals if you're playing smart.

Combat medic is REALLY versatile I feel.  A nice CC, a good knockback.  Great survivability and pretty good damage.  You really really shine in groups and people seem to love it when you're on their team.
"To the darkened skies once more and ever onward."

• Angelic Wrath
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 06:12:46 pm »
Has anyone done well with anything other than combat medic?

I rolled Commando thinking this would be one of the ranged hard hitters. Sadly, from what I have seen so far, the damage in PVP is low.

Like, I can burn through two full clips of ammo and not kill some people.

Edit: Forget this post... I kind of answerd my own question after some lengthy searching around the swtor community.

See my next post for my current line of thinking. :P

• Angelic Wrath
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 09:05:23 pm »
So, I've been browsing the official forums a bit tonight. (I know, dangerous for my mental health. :P ) But I did find some useful information.

First off, it seems like every commando who does heavy PVP and is fairly successful is specced at least partially into combat medic. I've yet to find anyone rolling a hybrid or pure spec of either dps tree who can back up their claims of success with anything other than talk.

So, last night I respecced (AGAIN! uuugh over 50k each now!) to a hybrid combat medic/assault. That seems to have been a mistake, but I've got one last build to try tonight before giving up on anything other than pure combat medic.

I'd like some input from those who have time. I'm not sure which way to spend my last few points. Though they can move around a lot.

Option 1:
http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#800dfR0RdcdzZrckrMb.1

Option 2:
http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#800bfRMRdcbzZrckrMb.1

The only different between these is that the first option allows me to get Armor Screen for a little more survivability in those heavy heal moments. Option 2 drops the point in Armor Screen and Cell Capacitor to pick up 2 points in first responder, for the added alacrity when it does proc.

I'm leaning towards option 1.

Ah, and last but not least, here's a video of a commando primarily specced combat medic really doing awesome in PVP. I say awesome because he's much better than me. Perhaps some of you have done/seen better, but this was inspiring for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKHvwJjT12w

Just as a side note to this video. This guys numbers are probably double what I see on my end. Even having tried a similar spec. I'm not sure if that's due to so many changes i nmy gear as I rank up in PVP, or if I've just done something horribly wrong with my gear.

Stacking AIM as my primary stat, of course. But, after that, I've been watching for items with power or crit rating on them.

Maybe I should go more power heavy than crit heavy? Seemed like I heard someone mention trying for crit chance up to at least 30% or so, then power from there?

* Discord

Calendar

May 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 251