Quest 2 Link Best Settings (Finally Better Than Rift S) by Tbone
[November 27, 2023, 04:57:46 pm]

randomness by Jeyk
[November 27, 2023, 09:42:30 am]

New PC for Oculus Rift (Purchased!) by Tbone
[December 01, 2022, 12:02:55 pm]

Stability Issues with CPU/RAM/Mobo by Tbone
[November 30, 2022, 12:34:56 pm]

Author Topic: Star Citizen  (Read 5483 times)

Offline Manic Velocity

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • Pod Goo & Tonic
Star Citizen
« on: December 20, 2013, 04:52:39 pm »
Are any of you nerds following this?

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/

Every few weeks I'll see an article pop up somewhere about the game hitting a new crowd-funding goal, but I didn't bother to learn anything about the game until today.  It's essentially going to be a multiplayer space sim sandbox.

- Modular ship customization (I think?)
- Space dog-fighting combat (PvE & PvP)
- Player organizations
- Crafting/harvesting
- Economy/trading/hauling

And yes, it's slated to have Rift support.

It looks interesting, if not insanely ambitious.  They're aiming for a buy-to-play model (pay-to-alpha right now), and they're not at all shy about relying heavily on microtransactions.  B2P and microtransactions are things I really prefer to stay away from.  If a game is good, I'm more willing to pay a monthly sub as long as I know I'm getting the complete experience for my money.

I'm keeping an eye on it but remaining very skeptical. 

Offline Erathaol

• Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Star Citizen
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 05:57:49 pm »
I've been following it for quite a while, and doing the exact same as you: keeping an eye on it but remaining very skeptical.

I'm a bit hopeful, though, because I WANT it to be awesome!

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thefuriousangels.com
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 02:45:47 am »
Yeah, it's one of the main games that Rifters are keeping a close eye on. It does seem like one of those games that will never be released because the developer is trying to pack so much into the game.

Offline Manic Velocity

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • Pod Goo & Tonic
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 08:12:31 am »
A decent pro/con comparison of Star Citizen and EVE as sci-fi sandboxes:

Star Citizen Vs Eve Online : The Discussion (Gameplay/Features/Communities)

Offline Phienyx

• Angelic Fury
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 08:13:08 pm »
This does look good.  Keeping my eye on it as well.

We're Angels, not saints.

Offline Maglorius

• RIFTER
  • Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 04:12:45 pm »
I have been keeping a close eye on Star Citizen ever since Chris Roberts started the Kick starter campaign. When I found out Chris Roberts was starting another space sim project I had to get involved. I became a veteran backer and also a monthly subscriber to the project, I put down about 900 bucks to help, of course my 900 bucks is trivial in comparison to the 41 million they have received in donations so far.

I am not sure if any of you guys remember the Wing Commander series but those were excellent space games back when they were produced. Chris also brought Starlancer and Freelancer space games alive, those were some extremely fun games to play online.

The elements of space battles, planet side FPS, and boarding parties on large carriers sounds like a whole lot of fun to me.

I know tomorrow they are going to broadcast a live stream of the new dogfighting module. April 10, 2014 @ 9:00 PM ES. www.robertsspaceindustries.com

You can also check out their youtube channel @ https://www.youtube.com/user/RobertsSpaceInd

Offline Maglorius

• RIFTER
  • Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 06:41:56 pm »
Are any of you nerds following this?

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/

Every few weeks I'll see an article pop up somewhere about the game hitting a new crowd-funding goal, but I didn't bother to learn anything about the game until today.  It's essentially going to be a multiplayer space sim sandbox.

- Modular ship customization (I think?)
- Space dog-fighting combat (PvE & PvP)
- Player organizations
- Crafting/harvesting
- Economy/trading/hauling

And yes, it's slated to have Rift support.

It looks interesting, if not insanely ambitious.  They're aiming for a buy-to-play model (pay-to-alpha right now), and they're not at all shy about relying heavily on microtransactions.  B2P and microtransactions are things I really prefer to stay away from.  If a game is good, I'm more willing to pay a monthly sub as long as I know I'm getting the complete experience for my money.

I'm keeping an eye on it but remaining very skeptical. 

Is Star Citizen “free to play”? A subscription game?
To play Star Citizen you need only to buy the initial game. There will never be a monthly charge for usage. Some in-game items may be available as microtransactions, but we will NEVER sell anything that can’t be acquired through honest (and fun!) gameplay.

As stated in the above, only some in game items may be available. I am ok with that.

Offline Phienyx

• Angelic Fury
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 06:17:19 pm »
I have been keeping a close eye on Star Citizen ever since Chris Roberts started the Kick starter campaign. When I found out Chris Roberts was starting another space sim project I had to get involved. I became a veteran backer and also a monthly subscriber to the project, I put down about 900 bucks to help, of course my 900 bucks is trivial in comparison to the 41 million they have received in donations so far.

I am not sure if any of you guys remember the Wing Commander series but those were excellent space games back when they were produced. Chris also brought Starlancer and Freelancer space games alive, those were some extremely fun games to play online.

The elements of space battles, planet side FPS, and boarding parties on large carriers sounds like a whole lot of fun to me.

I know tomorrow they are going to broadcast a live stream of the new dogfighting module. April 10, 2014 @ 9:00 PM ES. www.robertsspaceindustries.com

You can also check out their youtube channel @ https://www.youtube.com/user/RobertsSpaceInd

I was a huge fan of those past games myself.  I still have them around somewhere....

We're Angels, not saints.

Offline Maglorius

• RIFTER
  • Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 01:16:39 pm »
I just recently played through Freelancer again, fun game to this day.

* Discord

Calendar

April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
[28] 29 30

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 94
  • Dot Hidden: 0