Quest 2 Link Best Settings (Finally Better Than Rift S) by Tbone
[November 27, 2023, 04:57:46 pm]

randomness by Jeyk
[November 27, 2023, 09:42:30 am]

New PC for Oculus Rift (Purchased!) by Tbone
[December 01, 2022, 12:02:55 pm]

Stability Issues with CPU/RAM/Mobo by Tbone
[November 30, 2022, 12:34:56 pm]

Author Topic: randomness  (Read 1308973 times)

Offline Subb

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
randomness
« Reply #6180 on: May 18, 2010, 12:13:39 am »
Quote from: "Lits"
Things I Hate:
French People
French People's live bands on a work night for me
French Peopls' parties
Bigotry

Irony noted.

Oui?

Offline Manic Velocity

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • Pod Goo & Tonic
randomness
« Reply #6181 on: May 18, 2010, 07:59:37 am »

Offline Pirus

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
randomness
« Reply #6182 on: May 18, 2010, 07:03:11 pm »
yawn....

Offline Anamodiel

• Staff
    • View Profile
randomness
« Reply #6183 on: May 18, 2010, 09:32:51 pm »
Quote from: "ManicVelocity"

I thought they were making a sequel to Up!. I was going to be very, very, disappointed.

...And we will strike down upon those of Darkness, with great vengeance and Furious Anger, those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers.

Offline Fuse

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lostlocalhost.com
randomness
« Reply #6184 on: May 19, 2010, 10:05:28 am »
Finally got around to reading 1070...

Thank God for immigration...
I married into an immigrant family. Thank God I did. I've been a typical American and had a limited view of world politics, hardships, or any reference for historical atrocities. Then I got married. I became much more cultured, and while I'm still a spoiled American, at least I can recognize it and respect how hard immigrant families sacrifice and how hard they work.

My thoughts are pretty simple on Senate Bill 1070/2162. In order to agree with me on most points, you have to believe one fundamental item: ILLEGAL immigrants who came here without going through the proper process are here ILLIGALLY, and have committed a federal crime.
This is not an opinion, it is federal law, and a necessary need for US safety.

More points for AZ:
-It's supporting federal law
-It's needed because the federal government isn't doing its job
-There are legal ways to become a US citizen. It may be long and difficult, but aren't we worth it? Shouldn't it be difficult?
-Hiring illegal immigrants amounts to slavery. They can be paid less, work more, and have standard benefits withheld. (Ending illegal immigration benefits economy)
-It is unfair to legal immigrants
-Immigrants of all kinds are required to keep on them documentation proving their residency status. This is nothing new.

The last item of note deals with the concept of race and the primary fear those against this bill have... I'll quote directly from the bill itself:
"A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICIAL OR AGENCY OF THIS STATE OR A COUNTY,
CITY, TOWN OR OTHER POLITICAL SUBDIVISION OF THIS STATE MAY NOT SOLELY
CONSIDER RACE, COLOR OR NATIONAL ORIGIN IN IMPLEMENTING THE REQUIREMENTS OF
THIS SUBSECTION EXCEPT TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY THE UNITED STATES OR
ARIZONA CONSTITUTION."

Get it? It states that more than a few times.

This bill also states that employers who knowingly employ ILLIGAL immigrants, or knowingly deal with companies that employ ILLIGAL immigrants are in violation of the law. There are a ton of mentions of federal government codes and restrictions. Simply for that alone this will be held up in any scrutiny.

It's a damn shame that Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano and our Attourney General Eric Holder bash this thing WITHOUT EVEN READING IT! I would be fine simply disagreeing with them if they had some reasons, but they don't even know what's in it and they're saying it's not a good thing. It sure reminds me of a famous screw-up by the BigO saying "police acted stupidly" without having any information at all.

These are our leaders.

I suggest you (and our government officials) read the bill in its entirety before making any judgments. I'll even give it to you: Arizona Bill 1070 Full Text - Click "Show Versions".

Uh huh-I went there. =)
Sure seems like common sense to me. If there is anyone against this bill, I'm interested to see (1) if you have read it (2) what sections and text of the bill you disagree with (3) what your impressions of the current immigration policy are and (4) if you are just now interested in this, considering this simply allows AZ to enforce federal law that has been around for a very-very-very long time.

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thefuriousangels.com
randomness
« Reply #6185 on: May 19, 2010, 06:51:21 pm »
It seems to be a pretty moot law. As far as I know, the police have always been able to ask for an ID at any given time. I'm not sure what the big difference is. I mean, I understand the concerns of racial profiling and the risk of officers trying to cite this law as a reason for it, but I don't think that's the intention. It's basically just reinforcing cops' ability to act on it if someone doesn't have their ID on them.

As long as cops aren't just pulling over every person who looks Mexican just to check ID, it shouldn't change much. Cops still need a reason to pull you over or approach you, and I don't think this law gives them "because you're brown" as an excuse.

Like you said, I assumed these laws had been around for a while.

Offline Lithium

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://followtheangel.org
randomness
« Reply #6186 on: May 19, 2010, 07:16:11 pm »

Don't believe everything you think.

Offline Phienyx

• Angelic Fury
    • View Profile
randomness
« Reply #6187 on: May 19, 2010, 09:23:20 pm »
If this is how most politician operate (making decisions without having all the information) then no wonder this country is going down the tubes.......and what the hell are we paying them for?  To sit behind their desks thinking they are some kind of royalty when they are in actuality supposed to be servants of "the people".    We, being "the people".  

end rant.  I'm ok now.  LOL.

We're Angels, not saints.

Offline Fuse

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
randomness
« Reply #6188 on: May 23, 2010, 09:23:27 am »
Wish me luck. Going on my first of many skydives in about 4 hours.

Just in case...Thanks, FA. /salute! lol

Offline Phienyx

• Angelic Fury
    • View Profile
randomness
« Reply #6189 on: May 23, 2010, 09:53:17 am »
Good luck....and we'll be looking for your post saying that was the sickest most exhilarating thing you've ever done in your life.

We're Angels, not saints.

Offline Manic Velocity

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • Pod Goo & Tonic
randomness
« Reply #6190 on: May 23, 2010, 02:32:28 pm »
Good luck!  Tell us all about it.  I'm itching to take the jump myself.

Offline Jeyk

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • http://www.followtheangel.org
randomness
« Reply #6191 on: May 23, 2010, 02:40:38 pm »
Enjoy.  How many feet up?

Offline Fuse

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
randomness
« Reply #6192 on: May 23, 2010, 06:16:01 pm »
That was the third most sickest most exhilarating thing I've ever done in my life. (Sex and flying a plane solo for my first time still beat it)

It was a 14,000 jump. $210. The weather was perfect. 92 degrees, slightly windy.Worth every penny.
My JM(Jumpmaster) is a cool guy, but the training portion sucked ass. He has been doing this for over 14 years and has over 8000 jumps. I was really just a piece of luggage for him. All the training I got was "legs bent, hips out, head back when we go out - then let me do all the work" while he smoked and drank his red bull.

As for the jump itself... I realize how much of a pilot I really am, because I had my head mostly in the cockpit of the plane as we ascended. The pilot had an "Easy Button" from the Office Depot commercials on the yolk...awesome.

Just about to go out as he straps me butts-to-nuts to him he asks if I get motion sick, I answer hell no. I believe this is when he decided we were going to do backflips out of the plane. Sure enough when it was our turn - 1,2,3-FALL-SPIN-FALL-OH SHIT... We did about 3-4 backflips out of the plane. I'm not sure how many because I really only remember seeing the plane's belly twice, then trying to get my bearings. Freefall is something hard to describe, so I won't try too hard. It's strange, and incredible. Passing by and through clouds is one of my favorite things to do while flying, so seeing one go right past you in freefall is 10x better.
Our opening was really smooth. Hanging 4,000 feet in the air with very little to no sound, in 90+ degree weather with an amazing feeling breeze is (again) indescribable. Corkscrews = the win.

Anyone near Chicago up for joining me for the A Licence AFF program? :)

Offline Jeyk

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • http://www.followtheangel.org
randomness
« Reply #6193 on: May 25, 2010, 10:44:06 pm »

Offline Fuse

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
randomness
« Reply #6194 on: May 28, 2010, 08:06:08 pm »
I just realized I may have accidentally permanently deleted a folder on my computer "FA" related and I'm pretty pissed about it...Like quite upset.

Boo.

* Discord

Calendar

May 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

* Who's Online