Quest 2 Link Best Settings (Finally Better Than Rift S) by Tbone
[November 27, 2023, 04:57:46 pm]

randomness by Jeyk
[November 27, 2023, 09:42:30 am]

New PC for Oculus Rift (Purchased!) by Tbone
[December 01, 2022, 12:02:55 pm]

Stability Issues with CPU/RAM/Mobo by Tbone
[November 30, 2022, 12:34:56 pm]

Author Topic: randomness  (Read 1307792 times)

Offline Subb

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
randomness
« Reply #9195 on: March 01, 2013, 03:14:16 am »
I need a calm hobby... It has occurred to me that I'm running around too much and need to do something other than video games to chill out. Any suggestions? I'm considering going back to games workshop stuff, but it's freaking expensive.

Offline Erathaol

• Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
randomness
« Reply #9196 on: March 01, 2013, 04:06:18 am »
If you're heading to the tabletop already, why not go all the way and try D&D or similar game of its ilk (I prefer Pathfinder)?  That's certainly calm, and with the added benefit of being loads cheaper than Warhammer.

Offline Sared

• VETERAN ANGEL
  • Pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain
    • View Profile
randomness
« Reply #9197 on: March 01, 2013, 05:22:52 am »
While I love different versions of D&D for different reasons, Pathfinder is a fantastic system with easy to learn mechanics and (imo) a lot more flexibility.

Alternatively, I have no idea what the Friday Night Magic scene looks like over there, but it might be worth looking into. Not hard to do on a budget I might add!

Offline Subb

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
randomness
« Reply #9198 on: March 01, 2013, 05:39:22 am »
The only thing about D&D type games is that there are sweet eff all people/clubs/gatherings in my area. Warhammer 40K has totally amazing lore (thinking along the lines of going for the Grey Knights - Futuristic Daemon/Witch Hunters) and is much more accessible for me to walk into a store or a weekly club. However, I've always wanted to try a D&D. I'm a guy who will never dismiss or poo-poo something until I've tried it. Like golf. I fucking hate golf. It's shit.

Offline Tecknik

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
randomness
« Reply #9199 on: March 01, 2013, 07:16:23 am »
Magic is awesome.

Offline Subb

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
randomness
« Reply #9200 on: March 01, 2013, 08:29:16 am »
Quote from: "Tecknik"
Magic is awesome.

Are you talking Magic: The Gathering or rabbit from hat kind of Magic? Either way, I tried both when I was younger and couldn't really get into it.

Offline Tecknik

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
randomness
« Reply #9201 on: March 01, 2013, 09:56:02 am »
I was semi-mocking Sared's comment about the Friday Night Magic scene, which would be Magic: The Gathering.  I just wanted a reason to reference that Arrested Development GIF.

That being said, I used to enjoy me some Magic: The Gathering.

Offline Sared

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
randomness
« Reply #9202 on: March 01, 2013, 10:26:18 am »
MTG, and it's worth giving another swing if you ask me. I played it for a while when I was younger and had a similar reaction.

"Neat card art, but meh"

Fast forward fifteen years and you have standardized tournament formats, organized play EVERYWHERE, and tons of quality work being put into expansions like Return to Ravnica and Gatecrash to deliver a truly unique game. You can easily drop 30$USD and get a Fat Pack with nine booster packs, and that's pretty damn good odds that you'll get the cards you need to make a solid deck or have trade collateral.

Shit, don't even do that. You can get into a sealed tournament for 20$USD which more than pays for itself. They give you six booster packs, all the mana you need, and half an hour to an hour to make a forty card deck.

(I actually prefer sealed tournament, since it puts everyone on an equal playing field in regards to their card inventory.)

Also, a thing to note about Friday Night Magic: Wizards has put time, money, and energy to ensure that establishments that wish to be labeled as 'official' FNM event hosts have qualified judges willing and able to help explain the rules of the game, and make sure you have a good time!

Check out their store locator and check go watch a tournament! Ask questions! Have fun!

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/TCG/Events.aspx?x=events/magic/fnm

Offline Manic Velocity

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • Pod Goo & Tonic
randomness
« Reply #9203 on: March 01, 2013, 11:04:29 am »
Man, I miss playing D&D with my friends from high school.  Now we're all married with kids and our schedules rarely jive.  I've gone and checked out some of the local gatherings in my area, and the stereotypes are strong.  It's like they're trying to push geek culture back twenty years.

I want to play D&D, I just don't want to play with all these nerds!

Offline Subb

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
randomness
« Reply #9204 on: March 01, 2013, 12:39:02 pm »
Quote from: "ManicVelocity"
Man, I miss playing D&D with my friends from high school.  Now we're all married with kids and our schedules rarely jive.  I've gone and checked out some of the local gatherings in my area, and the stereotypes are strong.  It's like they're trying to push geek culture back twenty years.

I feel that and understand all too well. All the guys in games workshop store are the ones who would freeze and salivate if a woman came within a hundred meter radius.

Offline Ghisteslwchlohm

• Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
randomness
« Reply #9205 on: March 01, 2013, 01:11:48 pm »
Quote from: "ManicVelocity"

If you were close to Erathaol and I, I would say that you should come check out our games! We aren't super nerds, and we have a lot of fun. Also, the great thing about pathfinder, is that it can be virtually free! You can find all the rules online and that's all you really need to get playing.

Offline Heironymus

• Angelic Fury
    • View Profile
    • http://www.xanga.com/Inner_Fatman
randomness
« Reply #9206 on: March 01, 2013, 05:44:16 pm »
Quote from: "Sared"
MTG, and it's worth giving another swing if you ask me. I played it for a while when I was younger and had a similar reaction.

Ha.. I just picked this hobby back up about 4 months ago when a comic book store opened less than half a mile from my house. I pulled out an old box of cards I had in my parents attic and went to some booster draft tournaments every week. 13 bucks, three packs passed around and pull the card from each pass that helps you the most. I win a few, lose a lot more but it is fun and its an easy hobby...
I finally put together my first Standard deck and really like it although the deck needs a little work. definitely worth a look

Offline Sared

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
randomness
« Reply #9207 on: March 01, 2013, 07:39:39 pm »
I've got a red/blue burn&control deck with dual-lands, Guttersnipes, Negates, Redirects, and a Nicol Bolas for fucks and yucks that's been tearing apart Standard. Should give some of the mechanics a look!

What pain looks like

TELL PEOPLE TO STOP BUILDING BATTALLION DECKS, THEY ARE DOING IT WRONG.

Offline Subb

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
randomness
« Reply #9208 on: March 02, 2013, 03:42:53 am »
Quote from: "Sared"
I've got a red/blue burn&control deck with dual-lands, Guttersnipes, Negates, Redirects, and a Nicol Bolas for fucks and yucks that's been tearing apart Standard. Should give some of the mechanics a look!

What pain looks like

TELL PEOPLE TO STOP BUILDING BATTALLION DECKS, THEY ARE DOING IT WRONG.

Nicol Bolas Sounds like a shady Eastern European gangster. Could be Nico Bellic's cousin....

Offline Tecknik

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
randomness
« Reply #9209 on: March 02, 2013, 08:59:07 am »
A white lightsaber was shown today on the season finale of The Clone Wars.  A Jedi Master teaching younglings lightsaber techniques was using it.

* Discord

Calendar

May 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 279