Quest 2 Link Best Settings (Finally Better Than Rift S) by Tbone
[November 27, 2023, 04:57:46 pm]

randomness by Jeyk
[November 27, 2023, 09:42:30 am]

New PC for Oculus Rift (Purchased!) by Tbone
[December 01, 2022, 12:02:55 pm]

Stability Issues with CPU/RAM/Mobo by Tbone
[November 30, 2022, 12:34:56 pm]

Author Topic: Must-Have Check-list for SWTOR!  (Read 6894 times)

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thefuriousangels.com
Must-Have Check-list for SWTOR!
« on: October 28, 2011, 01:17:43 am »
I'm always looking for ways to maximize the efficiency of my gaming and communication. I figured I'd start a thread where we can share a check-list of what's needed to get the edge as a gamer and a group in SWTOR. Now some of these things cost money, and I'm the first one to say I don't have the cash for it, so take the "must-have" as a "must-have if you can afford it". Several of these things are inexpensive or free, however. So here we go...

Gaming Rig

A rig that can handle, SWTOR, of course! Check the system requirements. If you're looking for a place that won't rip you off, I recomment IbuyPower.com.

Peripherals

Razer Naga Gaming Mouse - If you can at all afford it, GET THIS MOUSE. While getting it retail can cost you $80, it is by far the best mouse for MMOs. There are 1-12 keys on the side plus 5 additional keys. There's a little bit of a learning curve, but once you get used to it, you'll wonder how you ever played without it. Just by adding shift to the buttons, you end up with around 30 keys at your fingertips without ever leaving WASD. This is a MUST HAVE for competitive PvP!

Quality Headset - I use the Gamecom 777, but the important thing is that you need a headset with a clear microphone. Using speakers and a desktop mic will not be adequate for group gaming. In Teamspeak everyone will be able to hear themselves and your loud gaming sounds if they are coming through the speakers. Proper gaming etiquette requires the use of a quality headset! Don't be THAT GUY. You can get one of these cheap from Wal-mart if you don't have the cash - Logitech will work just fine.

Computer Apps

Teamspeak - You had to have this just to  get past your interview, so you should already have it. Use it every time you log into the game and make sure the overlay is enabled to get people's names right!

Steam - Unless Origin (EA's game manager) gives SWTOR some nice out-of-game features, we'll be using Steam to see who's online and in-game. We also use it to send event notifications, so it's highly encouraged you have it.

Splashtop - Remote Desktop Utility. You're at work and you see the new patch is up for the game. It's 20 gigs and will take you a few hours to download and install. Usually that will keep you from gaming that night, but with Splashtop, you can jump on your smartphone, laptop, or work PC/Mac and remote in to get the patch started. You'll need the streamer for your gaming rig and then the app for whatever you want to access from. I've used this a LOT already. It might even be possible to play the game remotely, though this is untested. More info on the iPhone section.

Smartphone Apps

textPLUS - Group messaging. We use it for our alert system. Don't miss the breaking news! We'll notify you of a new patch, meeting time and interviews, raid sessions, PvP emergencies, etc. Not only can you stay connected to our alert system, but you can message anyone else in the guild who has textPLUS. It even works for non-smartphone users. The free version should be fine for those looking.

Teamspeak (for iPhone/Android) - Finally, after seemingly forever, the OFFICIAL TS app is here and it works great! It'll cost you $3-4 on the iPhone, but it's worth it. Never miss a guild event again!

Splashtop (for iPhone/Android) - Coupled with the streamer on your gaming rig, you'll never have to wait to get home to do anything again. Not only is this convenient for making sure your game is ready to go, but you can use Flash with this (for the iPhone users!), stream videos, chat on Steam, use TS (if you don't get the TS app), etc.

This list will continue to grow as I get suggestions from all of you. Feel free to add the must-have devices/software that you use for gaming!

Offline Da6onet

• VETERAN ANGEL
  • I shall either find a way or make one.
    • View Profile
    • JPL
Re: Must-Have Check-list for SWTOR!
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 06:52:56 am »
With regard to the headset issue, if you already have a desktop mic, as long as it's good quality, you can just use headphones. Echo problem solved.
If all the world's problems were solved today, what would you have left to do tomorrow?

NEED NEW SIGNATURE, CAN PAY IN THE FORM OF BEER!!!

Offline Anamodiel

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 09:46:12 am »
I thought this was going to be an official how to prepare yourself for launch week. I was looking forward to some creative tips on how to maximize your gameplay time in the launch week.

...And we will strike down upon those of Darkness, with great vengeance and Furious Anger, those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers.

Offline ExternalError

• Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://n/a
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 10:39:06 am »
How to maximise your game time during launch week

1. Fake your death - that way work, family and friends wont get in the way

2. Stock up on energy drinks and other liquid sustenance - solid food means longer bio breaks

3. Start a sleep plan to accustomise your body to little sleep a few weeks before release - set alarm clocks for random times in the night and make sure you wake up for them.

4. Move and kitchen appliances such as Fridge/Kettle/Microwave into the computer room so you dont have to move to get sustenance.

5. Weare DVT socks and make sure you move your legs alot while sitting down.

6. Place mirror so that you can look away from the screen for a few mins to rest your eyes but still be able to play.

7.Turn off phone and disconnect from any online messaging service apart from team speak so no one will be able to get hold of you.

8. Buy noise cancelling headphones so just in case theres a fire in your apartment block you wont be disturbed by the alarm and can carry on playing.

9. In case of internet drop out in your apartment make sure you have a good wireless connection you can poach off near by.

10. Enjoy

Offline Da6onet

• VETERAN ANGEL
  • I shall either find a way or make one.
    • View Profile
    • JPL
Must-Have Check-list for SWTOR!
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 11:02:16 am »
Optional measures to prepare for SWTOR launch:

11. Cancel Hanukkah
12. Cancel Christmas
13. Cancel New Year
If all the world's problems were solved today, what would you have left to do tomorrow?

NEED NEW SIGNATURE, CAN PAY IN THE FORM OF BEER!!!

Offline Manic Velocity

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • Pod Goo & Tonic
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 11:21:38 am »
14. Tape black trash bags over all windows to minimize distractions.  This will also confuse your body's internal clock.  If you can't tell whether it's late or early, you'll be less likely to sleep.

Offline Anamodiel

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 11:48:36 am »
I'm traveling to see my dad over Thanksgiving just so I can spend more time at home for Launch.

...And we will strike down upon those of Darkness, with great vengeance and Furious Anger, those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers.

Offline likwidtek

• RIFTER
  • VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • http://omeganerd.com
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 01:38:42 pm »
Can I add, I've never used splashtop, but logmein is amazing.  http://www.logmein.com I've been using it for all of my computers and servers for years.  It's insanely fast, supports so many amazing features like screen resolution matching, changing on the fly, autodetect or force network speeds to adjust quality settings, Wake on LAN (you can turn your computer ON even if it's off, remotely), tons of amazing security features, everything from a card with a list of unique codes all the way to texting you a unique code every time you log on... tons and tons of time tested and rock solid features.  There are way too many to list.

Being an IT pro I was very skeptical and preferred using mstsc (Microsoft terminal services or "remote desktop" as it's called now).  Fast forward a few years, I'm a firm believer.  It's faster and way more secure than anything else I've seen.

It's really good.  And it's free.
"To the darkened skies once more and ever onward."

Offline Fuse

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lostlocalhost.com
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2011, 02:21:42 pm »
I use to use logmein, and liked it. I've recently started using splashtop and like it more. Mainly because logmein costs far too much - or at least it did when I last saw it. Splashtop works well on both my tab and android phone - allows for multi monitor switching and is pretty darn fast. I have noticed some issues with the keyboard though, especially with swype. If logmein dropped in price on the market I might pick it up and give it another shot.

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2011, 03:00:47 pm »
Splashtop has other features as well, like XDisplay, which changes your iPad to an extended monitor via wifi. I don't have an iPad, though, so I'm looking for a similar program that will do that with a laptop (over wifi).

Offline Solstice

• Meat Shield
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2011, 03:53:12 pm »
I'm planning on using Teamviewer, I'll let you guys know how it works out after I test it remotely on another game.

Bring the light, and scatter the darkness.

Offline JP

• Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2011, 01:02:45 am »
Using teamviewer while at work and it works beautifully.
The artist formerly known as Tr4ce...

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2011, 01:30:27 am »
Does teamviewer designed to play games remotely or is it basically the same as other remote accesses?

Offline JP

• Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2011, 01:40:29 am »
tried some video playing and games, think its too choppy to actually play but can start crafting and shit.

Have used logmein in the past, remember that being alil better.
The artist formerly known as Tr4ce...

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2011, 01:58:20 am »
Splashtop has a video mode that makes video streams not choppy. Not sure if it would work for a game.

* Discord

Calendar

May 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 5