Quest 2 Link Best Settings (Finally Better Than Rift S) by Tbone
[November 27, 2023, 04:57:46 pm]

randomness by Jeyk
[November 27, 2023, 09:42:30 am]

New PC for Oculus Rift (Purchased!) by Tbone
[December 01, 2022, 12:02:55 pm]

Stability Issues with CPU/RAM/Mobo by Tbone
[November 30, 2022, 12:34:56 pm]

Author Topic: bin Laden  (Read 10231 times)

Offline Adad

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
bin Laden
« on: May 02, 2011, 09:16:27 am »
I figured someone would bring it up, so why not do so myself. I don't know how everyone feels about it or anything like that. Like most, I am very glad it was done and I would like to be the first to thank Broin for making it happen. Unlike some, I know this is far from the end of our fight against terror, nor does it make us any safer, but he had to be brought to justice. I did not start this thread for a political debate, so I hope that does not break out, simply to thank Broin and bring up what inevitably would be. God bless America.

Double-Tap FTW

Offline Ash

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
Re: bin Laden
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 09:26:34 am »
America!!  Fuck Yeah!!

"Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men"

Offline Fuse

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lostlocalhost.com
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 09:30:53 am »
You're late if you look in the Randomness thread, but I think this deserves it's own. My feelings as I mention HERE and in the randomness thread...

Waldo 1; Osama 0; (But he put up a good fight)

How damn hard was it to catch a 6'5 jihadist carrying around a dialysis machine from cave to cave? /facepalm

Everything has it's pros and cons... America is obsessed with retaliation and retribution - which can be warranted, but it should never be an end goal and should never cause someone to lose sight of the real threat. Osama the man wasn't a threat, it was the ideas he represented and after him is another 200 folks in line for his job.

I have an eye-for-an-eye mentality when it comes to punishment, so I am happy that he has the chance to meet God and be judged - but I am also pretty surprised to see so many people scream and shout as if the war is over and everything can go back to pre 9/11 days. If the goal of the military was to get retribution, it's time to bring our troops home now more than ever. When that happens I will be jumping for joy in the streets.

Also, President Obama had a very nice speech. Probably my favorite, or in the top three. Undoubtedly, it will be his "historical" presidential speech. He briefly discussed the concepts behind the 9/12 project, who the enemy was, why they were the enemy, why we went to war (giving hidden props to Bush in the process), the families of those who lost loved ones on 9/11, and an appropriate-enough description of the intel and process of what happened. He acknowledged that the effort is not over and the fight is not done, and is not against a religion. Best of all? He did not omit "under God" again when quoting the Pledge of Allegiance. For that, we thank you.

Also, yes. It was broin.

Supposedly, this is the first pic of deadOsama. http://pikchur.com/Af0J

Also, I am disgusted at the sights I'm seeing here. People are cheering the bloodlust of this, not the justice. Where were these college kids support over the last ten years? Where was their patriotism when Bush started this path? It seems an excuse to party and drink more than anything. This is a historical moment of memoriam to reflect the lives of a shitton (technical term) of people and the glory of America, it was not about one mans death.

Offline Anamodiel

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 09:39:20 am »
My dad texted me this late last night while I was in the library, saying "Osama is dead." My first reaction was to think that he had spelled it wrong and meant to say "Obama" is dead, and then I realized who he meant.

It's best to quote Mark Twain: "‎"I've never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure."

...And we will strike down upon those of Darkness, with great vengeance and Furious Anger, those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers.

Offline Adad

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 09:46:55 am »
Very well put, Fuse. I agree with everything you said. Thank you to those who are out there, serving our country and working to protect us and what we stand for. We will need them all now more than ever as attempts at retaliation are inevitable.

Bottom line, much like Fuse stated, this is about justice. It has been served. But it does not bring an end to anything.

And, that photo has already been deemed a fake. I believe the gov't announced it has no plans to release photos, which sparked a typical uprising from conspiracy theorists as to it all being another lie and way too convenient that they won't release pics and already dumped his body in the ocean. We'll see though. I for one think this is a special case where releasing the photos to the public may be justified.

EDIT: Some articles now cite sources saying they may be released. Hm

Offline Anamodiel

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 10:10:37 am »
http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/beltway-confidential/2011/05/raid-got-bin-laden-was-culmination-years-work-sr-admin-official-s

Some time after Sept. 11, detainees held by the U.S. told interrogators about a man believed to work as a courier for bin Laden, senior administration officials said. The man was described by detainees as a protégé of Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, and “one of the few Al Qaeda couriers trusted by bin laden.”

Initially, intelligence officials only had the man’s nickname, but they discovered his real name four years ago.

Two years ago, intelligence officials began to identify areas of Pakistan where the courier and his brother operated, and the great security precautions the two men took aroused U.S. suspicions.

Last August, intelligence officials tracked the men to their residence in Abbottabad, Pakistan, a relatively wealthy town 35 miles north of Islamabad where many retired military officers live.

Bin Laden was caught partially in thanks to information obtained from detainees interrogated at Guantanamo Bay. Food for thought for those that wanted to close it down.

...And we will strike down upon those of Darkness, with great vengeance and Furious Anger, those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers.

Offline Adad

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 10:21:15 am »
More proof that Jack Bauer and men that operate like him get results. Period.

Offline NoCry

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 10:49:12 am »
I am happy to see this thread and, frankly, happy to hear that this man is dead, I hope he suffered, badly, and knew just some of the fear that people watching loved one's felt as they saw the towers come crashing down. I am afraid I do not share Ana's Mark Twain view in this regard (although Twain did of course put it eloquently) - I hope and pray he never knows peace.

Offline Lithium

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://followtheangel.org
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 02:32:46 pm »
Pics or it didn't happen.

Don't believe everything you think.

Offline Broin

• Second-in-Command
  • VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 02:40:10 pm »
Quote from: "Anamodiel"
It's best to quote Mark Twain: "‎"I've never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure."

I've wished quite a few men dead.... And then taken great pleasure at reading their obituaries.

Go ahead, make my day.

Offline Adad

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 03:17:59 pm »
The last thing bin Laden saw:

(Broin, not Clint)

Offline Gami

• Meat Shield
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2011, 05:20:00 pm »
Quote from: "Anamodiel"
http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/beltway-confidential/2011/05/raid-got-bin-laden-was-culmination-years-work-sr-admin-official-s

Some time after Sept. 11, detainees held by the U.S. told interrogators about a man believed to work as a courier for bin Laden, senior administration officials said. The man was described by detainees as a protégé of Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, and “one of the few Al Qaeda couriers trusted by bin laden.”

Initially, intelligence officials only had the man’s nickname, but they discovered his real name four years ago.

Two years ago, intelligence officials began to identify areas of Pakistan where the courier and his brother operated, and the great security precautions the two men took aroused U.S. suspicions.

Last August, intelligence officials tracked the men to their residence in Abbottabad, Pakistan, a relatively wealthy town 35 miles north of Islamabad where many retired military officers live.

Bin Laden was caught partially in thanks to information obtained from detainees interrogated at Guantanamo Bay. Food for thought for those that wanted to close it down.

It should also be mentioned that the intel about the courier was obtained under the Clinton administration. The information obtained in Guantanamo was a confirmation of said person existing and started the hunt for that person.
"Remember its all just a mirror we made to see ourselves in."

Offline Subb

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2011, 05:31:51 pm »
Although initially, I was so very happy that this man is dead; but it would have been much better to have bought him back to the US alive to deny him his martyr's death and let him die as an old man in a cell. Then he would know (with a few beatings from the guard) that his life was worthless.

Offline Gami

• Meat Shield
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2011, 06:38:58 pm »
Quote from: "Subb"
Although initially, I was so very happy that this man is dead; but it would have been much better to have bought him back to the US alive to deny him his martyr's death and let him die as an old man in a cell. Then he would know (with a few beatings from the guard) that his life was worthless.

True but the alternative would be that periodically you would hear word from him about his hate and you can just as easily make a case for more hate would ensue because they were holding him captured. Beating him would only solidify in his and others that the USA is just a disgraceful nation only interested in it's own prosperity and doesn't care about anyone else. That we turn around, wash this guy, bury him at sea and give him an actual funeral with Muslim prayers says a lot about the USA's character compared to how others would have done it.

This also may just be reporter spin but word is that he was shot in his room hidden away without a weapon. He spoke about going down a fighter and instead died a coward. With these details it's hard to spin this in favor of him or radicals.
"Remember its all just a mirror we made to see ourselves in."

Offline Anamodiel

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2011, 07:04:27 pm »
Quote from: "Subb"

That would have required a trial. Could you imagine the circus of a trial it would be? That would have been enormously more climactic for him and his followers. Can you imagine how drawn out that trial would be? bin Laden would be in the news every day, with soundbites of him talking about the evils of the United States and the West. No, he didn't need a trial.

The way that he died speaks more volumes about him than anything else. He didn't die a martyr's death. He died pathetically, using a woman as a human shield.

Fun article about the team that did this and the technology they "didn't" use. Broin has to be somewhere in this!

http://nationaljournal.com/whitehouse/the-secret-team-that-killed-bin-laden-20110502

* Discord

Calendar

May 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 398