Quest 2 Link Best Settings (Finally Better Than Rift S) by Tbone
[November 27, 2023, 04:57:46 pm]

randomness by Jeyk
[November 27, 2023, 09:42:30 am]

New PC for Oculus Rift (Purchased!) by Tbone
[December 01, 2022, 12:02:55 pm]

Stability Issues with CPU/RAM/Mobo by Tbone
[November 30, 2022, 12:34:56 pm]

Author Topic: Are you effing kidding me GamePro?  (Read 2532 times)

Offline likwidtek

• RIFTER
  • VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • http://omeganerd.com
Are you effing kidding me GamePro?
« on: December 02, 2011, 03:40:50 pm »
http://www.gamepro.com/video/previews/159643/video-preview-star-wars-the-old-republic/

No words.  The most retarded and ignorant "review" I've ever read.  This is not me being a fanboi, these guys SERIOUSLY need to be fired and this company should just stop.

"To the darkened skies once more and ever onward."

Offline Tbone

• FA FOUNDER
  • Administrator
  • Probably Rifting
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thefuriousangels.com
Re: Are you effing kidding me GamePro?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 04:06:38 pm »
Haha, not only was that uneducated, but it was poorly executed as well.

Question: Does Blizzard make enough money to pay off a few stoners at GamePro to give SWTOR a lackluster review that actually promotes WoW more than anything else? Judging by this, I'm guessing so.

Especially annoying was the one guy who said he hates having to look at the quest cinematics and that there's no way to skip through it (poor guy hasn't found his spacebar yet), and then goes on to complain about how it's too grindy because there's nothing to hook you into it.

They even use the trendy WoW catchphrases. "It's just WoW with lightsabers, but WoW does it better."

If you don't want to watch the video, here's a synopsis:  "Uhhh...I dunno...I played for like, maybe 6 hours or something, and uhhh....I just....uhhhhhh....I dunno, stuff was kinda lame. I mean, it was Star Wars but, uhhhhh...you know, I've been playing WoW for 7 years, so.....uhhhhh....I'd rather just play WoW."

Offline Tecknik

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 04:12:32 pm »

Offline Manic Velocity

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • Pod Goo & Tonic
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 04:12:34 pm »
I honestly think this is a joke.  GamePro is pretty much dead at this point, so it's not like they risk losing subscribers by bashing one of the most anticipated MMO's in the industry's history.

They're trolling, and the TOR community is falling for it.

Offline Kassandra

• Meat Shield
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 04:15:32 pm »
lol, wow...I totally agree with you, this was pretty pointless to even watch

what I actually found most annoying was the constant WoW comparison - If you want a WoW clone, just keep playing WoW instead, lol - personally Im so excited to play a game thats doesnt seem like just another WoW clone - from the way to short time I had ingame Im even more excited about release :D

Ill just hope this will keep all the annoying WoW players away from the game so it can stay fun <3 hehe

Offline Mythrillian

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 04:41:17 pm »
Well that was a wasted 10 mins lol.

I do agree on one point. I do think the character creator could be better "ducks for cover!" All they need is a height and weight slider and I'm happy. Besides that this is totally a joke. Is it me or do they come across as very scripted?

Offline likwidtek

• RIFTER
  • VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
    • http://omeganerd.com
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 05:05:15 pm »
Honestly, I think they're trying to link bait to get a surge in traffic.  Even if it's negative.
"To the darkened skies once more and ever onward."

Offline Keeloth

• Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 05:41:33 pm »
Quote from: "ManicVelocity"
I honestly think this is a joke.  GamePro is pretty much dead at this point, so it's not like they risk losing subscribers by bashing one of the most anticipated MMO's in the industry's history.

They're trolling, and the TOR community is falling for it.

My take on it as well, though I have to wonder how this really helps any of them.  Don't they want to get hired on by some other game site?  Why would they completely wreck their credibility as some kind of prank?

Offline Duoi

• Meat Shield
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 06:18:29 pm »
proof they where just trolling.  http://www.swtor.com/awards

Offline eeth

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 07:48:56 pm »
Yes, yes they are effing kidding you.

Pretty good troll i have to admit :D

"Uh oh, am I...am I crashing? There's too much dancing!"

Offline Mharz

• Angelic Wrath
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 09:12:02 pm »
I refuse to waste anymore of my life listening to idiots that can't form complete, well thought out statements that are even somewhat close to facts about SWTOR.  Has to be a trolling attempt.  They can't be that stupid can they?  

Ah hell... I shouldn't do this but.. indepth Mharz analysis incoming!

I snipped their comments together by person and added my own special color commentary.  Enjoy.

Greasy-Gamer-Girl
Playtime: a week.. maybe 13-15 hours
Character Class:  Sith Warrior level 13

"Busy doing errands for the local Sith Lord and its a little slow."

She likes cut scenes!!  But she thinks smuggler is the most boring class in the game.  WHAT?!?  You like cut scenes but smuggler is boring?  Is this the same game?  Smuggler conversations are filled with one liners, quips, and are just plain fun from what I've seen.

But now she has shiney light sabers so she can be as evil as possible and wipe out packs of mobs.

She also calls it a "grindy game" at one point.  What?  She played 13 hours.  and she's level 13.  She wants to level even faster?  Really?  I know people (myself included) that played more than 13 hours in one sitting and leveled faster.

Oh wait.. now she doesn't care about the story.. but she likes the cut scenes which are most story.. hmm.... Can't form a consistent idea can she?

And thank The Force this could be all the farther she's going to go with SWTOR.

Brit-WoW-Fanboi
Playtime: 6-7 hours
Character Class:  Never mentioned one and I think that's because he just didn't know what he was playing or being paid to talk about.

"The cut-scenes are like... [stoner moment, can't finish a thought] ... was so happy when they put text in wow.. I'm just not interested in the storyline.  If you're one of those objective based people..."  Is he not interested in it or is he just too ADHD to focus long enough to follow a few linked thoughts much less a story?  Idiot.  And apparently he's challenged because he doesn't play with a keyboard equipped with a spacebar because he can't bypass cut scenes.  All that story is just meaningless?!?  

Disappointed out of the gate because there were so many humans.  Yep.. suuure..

It took him back to playing wow.. which isn't a bad thing but old wow.  You know the one that attracted 12 million players... the one that everyone misses now...

He doesn't want to just sit there and watch story play out, he wants to be part of that story.. you know.. the story he doesn't care about.  What?  Really?  I don't care about a story and I want to be a part of a story?  Less drugs more higher thought you bottom feeding idiot.

Blizzard has shown how to be a part of a story?  WHAT?  How on earth can you be serious?  Ever since they introduced Death Knights... Whaaaat?

Outdated?  Really?

He can do this in Rift and WoW (that he's been doing for 7 years) and WoW is more appealing at this point.  His words, not mine.  He wants some fun in the first 6-7 levels before settling into the grind.  Its called story you ignorant lump of crap and if you could pull your head out of Blizzard's ass for 20 seconds to smell the fresh air and take your meds you might understand that.

Dumb-Girl
Playtime:  Since friends and family beta
Character Class:  Smuggler and Trooper
"Both of them are on the blue side...I haven't played any of the red side yet." - You've been playing how long and you don't know the two major groups in the game?  How dumb are you?  Really?

Grinder wow players don't like cut scenes?  Really?  I'm one of those players and this is THE FIRST MMO EVER that I didn't hate the game while leveling to max level because the story was engaging.  She also does not have a spacebar on her keyboard.

But she's definately going to play.  Oh goodie.  I wonder if she'll play blue or red?  She expects a lot of WoW players jumping ship to play this then going back to WoW.  Because they'll miss their panda bears, pokemon pet battle system, and Chuck Norris trade chat jokes.

Basement-Beard
Playtime:  A couple hours

Another idiot with short attention span and no spacebar.

"If you've played one MMO you've played them all..."  Possibly one of the most ignorant statements I've ever heard concerning online gaming.  Definately MxO was just like WoW and they were both like EQ and they're all like SWTOR.  Exactly the same.  Really?

"It's World of Warcraft with lightsabers."  Really?

Someone stop me before I write more.

Game Pro?  I think not.

Offline Milhouse

• Soldier
    • View Profile
    • http://lancamp.org
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2011, 09:15:15 pm »
To be fair, there's a lot of TOR that is a lot like WoW.  That's not a bad thing, necessarily.

Offline Keeloth

• Angelic Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2011, 09:52:40 pm »
Quote from: "Milhouse"
To be fair, there's a lot of TOR that is a lot like WoW.  That's not a bad thing, necessarily.

Sure, absolutely.  The problem is the contradictions.  They essentially state that they love grind (which immediately places them in a small minority of Western gamers, grindy Korean MMOs are hardly brimming with subs) then they call SWTOR a grind!  Which is isn't, but if it wasn't, shouldn't they like it more?

Then there's the part where they call the combat "clunky," then later say it's the EXACT same as WoW's.  Yet they constantly refer to WoW positively.  So is WoW's combat clunky?  Or are they just throwing out random criticisms in hopes that one of them will stick?

I mean, if you don't like story, I can understand why you wouldn't be too enthused about SWTOR, what with that being the major draw.  But then, would you go into Operation Flashpoint and rate it low because you get killed by a couple of shots?  That's how the game is designed, and if you don't like that kind of game design...why are you reviewing the game?  Out of the 4 reviews, there should only be ONE reviewer with that preference, so he can play devil's advocate and provide a unique viewpoint.  Having all four with them with the same views...it makes for poor journalistic value.

Offline Tecknik

• VETERAN ANGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2011, 05:44:50 am »
You guys are spending way too much time analyzing an obvious joke.

Offline Strod

• Angelic Fury
    • View Profile
Are you effing kidding me GamePro?
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2011, 09:38:54 am »
^

Furious since 2006.

* Discord

Calendar

June 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8